Sunday, June 5, 2016

Simplifying Slowly

Now that the school year is wrapped up, I have time to really devote to working on our "get ready to sail project".  I have to do a couple things in my classroom before the custodial crew comes through, but for the most part, I am done (until mid-July when I start putting it all back together for my new crop of 5th graders).

This means, we get serious about getting our storage unit cleared out (and saving the $200 per month fee)! Our goal is to move everything out by the end of the month. Our first large yard sale will be this Saturday and we may have a couple more during the summer, as well as listing items for sale on a local community site and Craigslist.


This past weekend, we took our first load of items to our new storage container on my parent's property. We are keeping items like photo albums, baby books, important documents, and some things we will use when we return from our trip (like a couple of furniture pieces Jared made). I decided to also move some of the holiday decorations, as we will have at least one more of each holiday in our house before we go. Some of these decorations were made by the kids, while others were passed down from family.


Today (and probably for the rest of this week), I will be taking all of the items we are selling this Saturday out of storage and labeling them with prices. My sister-in-law will be taking some items for her younger kiddos, and that pile is growing by the minute. The trips to the donation center have already begun, although it doesn't look like it at this point. It is easy to get overwhelmed by everything on the shelves. I have made a daily goal of just getting one of the shelving units emptied. If I do more than that, great. If not, that's ok.

How did we acquire so much stuff? 14 years of marriage and 3 children later, led to an accumulation of all sorts of things. I used to sew a lot and had a side business for awhile. This means I have bins of fabric that I just haven't off-loaded yet. I keep thinking I will have the time to tackle those sewing projects I have put on the back burner, but now I see that it just isn't going to happen. Time to move on.

Jared and I were talking on the drive back home last night, that when we moved into our house last year, we left so much stuff in our old driveway. Seriously, after we had filled up 3 industrial sized dumpsters, we still had bins of wrapping paper, decorations, furniture, clothing, kitchen stuff, and other miscellaneous items. We posted photos on a local community site and within 5 minutes, we had cars lining the street! Jared couldn't believe how fast these people showed up! They took everything! The driveway was emptied within an hour! We may apply the same strategy if we have anything remaining after the summer yard sales.

We thought we had truly downsized after the move, however, after going through the kids' rooms, our garage, and storage unit, I am asking myself, why didn't I get rid of it last year? We are now looking at each new purchase with the eyes of a future liveaboard. If it won't fit on the boat, we don't need it! I am working on getting the kids to view things the same way. Do you really want to spend your birthday money on a new lego set (when they already have a few bins full of them) when you could save up for a SUP (stand up paddle board) to bring on the boat? Our oldest is on board, where as the other two may take awhile to come around. Ah well, one day at a time...



No comments:

Post a Comment