Friday, June 10, 2016

One

Yesterday found us back at our storage unit clearing out another trailer load. This makes three in total.

I made a comment to Jared while loading up that I truly felt like we had gotten rid of a lot the last time I was here (last week), yet it sure didn't look like it. I swear this stuff multiplies when we aren't looking! 
I read an article the other day on how it eventually gets to where the stuff owns you. You pay to move it with you, pay to store it, pay the stress of having to eventually deal with it all. And for what? Memories. Nostalgia. Or just too tired / no time to actually go through everything and throw it out. I plead guilty to all of the above. I am a sentimental person and a lot of these things have value to me. The cards we received when we got married, had our babies, graduation mementos, travel souvenirs, you know what I am talking about. All of that stuff you slowly collect as you go through life, My husband's answer to all of this: "take a photo, it doesn't take up space". At first I just ignored him, applying the "men just don't get it" philosophy. Now though, I think he has a point. I can place those cards in a memory book or just scan them. Now, if I could just find the time...

Later on that evening, as I was going through yet another box, I found this poem. It is a small plastic card, meant to keep in your wallet, and I think my mom gave it to me back in high school. It must have been around the time I was applying to various colleges, writing essays, and feeling like I had this huge mountain to climb. I remember her telling me to just take one page at a time, one essay at a time. Now, I am applying this same wisdom to this task of selling all this stuff. One box at a time. One day at a time.


I want to give a shout out to all the other bloggers out there who have or are going through this same stage. It helps to read about it, seriously! Knowing that it is possible, that others made it through and are now on their adventures, gives me the grit to push through and tackle this task. Thank you for inspiring us all. I hope in the future, we can help someone else get through this process. 

This is what I am dealing with right now, y'all. 

Just now, Jared walked by and asked  "you're posting that online"? 
Me: "Yep. Just showing what we are dealing with. Later on, we can look back and see all we've accomplished"!
Jared: "Yeah, how we had way too much crap."  

I shake my head as he walks off, but I know that in the end, it will all be worth it. Time to grab this mug of coffee and dive in!

~Stef

No comments:

Post a Comment