Sunday, September 11, 2016

School Supplies for Schools in Need

Part of our mission while cruising is to get school supplies to the schools and students that need them. The school I currently teach at is pretty set when it comes to supplies. We have a generous PTA that helps teachers with classroom needs and our site has an awesome supply closet.

This is NOT the case at every school. I know this, because I have taught at a few schools throughout my career. There were years we didn't have any school-bought supplies, so everything came out of pocket. Hubby was not thrilled about that, but what's a teacher to do? I changed districts after a few years (we moved), and began learning that not all schools are created equal.


When Jared and I were discussing our goals while sailing, one priority is to give back where and when we are able to. Some locations happen to be high tourist traffic areas and get a lot of donations. Our goal will be to help out the less fortunate schools, perhaps those off the beaten path.


This weekend while running errands, I noticed a huge sale on school supplies. The teacher in me made a huge beeline over to that aisle and stocked up on some great stuff, all at 70% off! I may or may not have also cruised the summer clearance aisle and bought a wading pool for some S.T.E.M. activities...



The supplies I purchased today are going in my class store (and some in the boat pile), which I started back at a school that had a high homeless population. The class store is held monthly and allows students to buy school supplies with their class dollars (their income comes from class jobs, attendance, and their own class businesses). I use the classroom economy to teach my students how to keep a balanced checkbook, plan for expenditures, save up for items, and in general, be responsible with their money. They also learn how to be entrepreneurs. It's a lot of fun and the kids really get into it! Bake sales, thrift shops, duck-tape wallets, origami, crafts, auctions, desk cleaning services...the list goes on. Even the parents like to get involved. Having fun while learning--what I like to do best!

~Stef


1 comment:

  1. Find the latest online deals and great offers on all types of official/school stationery & printing gadgets. Get Shopping Rewards & Free Shipping in UAE.Buy School Supplies

    ReplyDelete