Wednesday, March 21, 2018

STEAM Outreach Education While Sailing

Our family outside the 17th Elementary School of Piraeus, Greece

As a teacher, it was a bit tough to pack up my classroom and set sail for the next two years. Jared reminds me that I am teaching our own children each day, but it just isn't the same. I found myself actually missing my classroom. It's just where part of my heart is.

I also wanted to take on some sort of project while we visit various countries. When we started out in the BVI, experienced the hurricanes (#irmaria)  and began helping with the recovery efforts, I really focused on helping the schools there. As we were back in the states, I had the internet resources and was able to pair up state schools (and other organizations) with island schools. As a result, many teachers received supplies from all over the states, which helped get their classrooms up and running again. It felt good to be able to do something from afar.

Presentation on our school in CA, the STEM and ROV program Stef started there.
Fast forward to now. We are presently in Greece and have been volunteering in a friend's classroom. The main focus has been STEM activities and also founding the first youth ROV program in Greece! A few times in the classroom led to teaching the principal and some of the staff. I LOVED every minute and felt like we were making a difference. My kids helped organize and lead the lessons, which in turn, provided the benefit of working with another culture. Recess time was spent in a dance class or outside on the playground, sharing stories and snacks. These have been wonderful experiences and something we will continue as we sail on.



STEM or STEAM: science ,technology, engineering, and math (some add art in there, but if you think about it, art is in everything).





The more we share our story or about how we are working with local schools, the more inquiries we receive about coming to their school, sharing the ideas with their staff and students. We go to those we can, based on the anchorages or marinas near the schools. For others, we are working on creating videos, so they can recreate the activities in the classroom or at home.

While I can't do this full time at the moment, it makes me sit and ponder the possibility of doing so. To be able to travel and teach, while being with my family and exploring new places. Oh, what a dream come true that would be! Alas, we would need to fund this venture, and there just doesn't seem to be the school funds to be able to cover this sort of program. For now, it is completely volunteer, but perhaps in the future, it could turn into something full time. That would be amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment