Saturday, June 10, 2017

On the Move!

Exactly that! We are on the move! We've sold the house and bought our boat! Can I just say how GOOD that feels to be able to write that sentence! 
We close escrow on the house at the end of the month and it has been quite the whirlwind of activity around here! In addition to packing up the house, I've had to pack up my classroom. Over 16 years of teaching means a u-haul FULL of stuff. I even threw out and gave away a bunch of things I hadn't used in awhile and the u-haul was still packed. I think the more tired I grew throughout the day, the more I got rid of. It's always good to have a large purge throughout the career, so it was about time.

I must admit, I do love my job and will miss my classroom. The bright side is, it will all be waiting for me when we return. Still have to pack it all up though, which is not fun. As I took down bulletin boards, packed up books and supplies, and personal things, I kept thinking about the HOURS I put into this space. Ask any teacher and they'll tell you: setting up a classroom is no joke. It takes WEEKS! That also doesn't count prepping for the new crop of students either. Sigh, but it has to get done. 

So, today I finished getting everything out and packed up into storage. Next week, I will go in and make sure things are cleaned up and organized for the teacher moving in to my classroom. I am lucky in this sense, as it happens to be one of my dear friends. She was C's teacher this past year and decided to take the 5th grade spot while I am gone ( and she is going to be amazing)! Just love her (shout-out Laura!).

With that all behind me, I will now tackle packing up the rest of the house. The kids have been helping me out a great deal, so Jared can get some work done. We've pretty much sold everything and have the last items scheduled for pick up in a couple of weeks. I decided to have a final yard sale this coming weekend and we will donate whatever is left.

Now, about the boat. She is a Leopard 46 catamaran. I'll update the boat page and write a dedicated post with all the details in a few weeks (after we get out there and see her). We are flying out as soon as we close escrow on the house to do the haul-out, survey, and sea trial. We'll spend about a week in the BVI with the kids while this is going on and then head back home to get all of our gear/belongings packed up and shipped out. It will take a few weeks for all of our stuff to reach the boat, so we have decided to take a road trip across the country. The plan is to buy a small travel trailer and take our time driving from California to Florida. From there, we will sell the SUV and travel trailer before flying out to move aboard. 

There is so much to do between now and then, but that's all part of the adventure. We are getting there, and now after 9 years of planning, we are actually DOING it! =)





No comments:

Post a Comment